Resuming Research: 1947 to the Present
When Mr. George DeLong became Superintendent in 1947, he began the process of rebuilding the research support and facilities that had stayed relatively unadvanced during the war years and resumed the type of work carried out by Hutton. Significant increases in technical staff and the construction of additional office and lab space would take place over the next decade.
Under the leadership of Mr. Delong and Mr. Stothart, there was a firm emphasis on listening to the concerns of producers and responding to what they saw as the real needs. The result was a great deal of industry involvement for the staff of the station.
As time passed, increasingly complex research began to focus more on advanced experimental designs. Contributions to scientific publications became a main form of communication used by the Station.
In the second half of the century, horticultural research at the station gradually faded out of the picture. At the same time research on poultry stopped as did the use of horses for plowing or managing the cattle herd. Crop breeding research expanded for a number of years, including wheat, barley and oats.