Reconstruction of building as we know it today by Urquhart after the 1906 Flatiron Block Fire. Urquhart Department Store opens
Norman Campbell, LTD., 1928-1938
Information currently available about Norman Campbell is slim. Like many others, Norman Campbell appears to have taken an active role in community organizations, such as when he helped get the Rotary Club going in 1928. He also had a prize-winning Jersey Cow that he entered in a competition in 1928 as well as some Langshan chickens who won prizes in 1932.
Advertisements for his store often emphasize the clothing, hats, and shoes that the Norman Campbell Department Store sold, but the store also carried dry goods, furnishings, and groceries. Shortly after taking over the store, Campbell turned the second floor of the building into a department devoted to women’s and children’s clothes.
While the building did not suffer damage from fires during Norman Campbell’s time as the owner, the store was robbed during August of 1929. Constable Tyler spotted to men leaving with sacks full of goods, which the thieves dropped and ran. The constable pursued the men to the C.P.R. yards and fired shots, but the suspects escaped. The sacks that they were carrying were mostly full of men’s clothing.
At present, research indicates that after selling the Urquhart Block and store to Jacob Lawrence in 1945, Campbell may have moved to Blackfalds. It appears that he was the keeper of the Imperial Hotel there and was also the mayor in 1955 for a short while.
Can you tell us more about Norman Campbell and his store? Let the Lacombe & District Historical Society know!